Posted in Uncategorized on August 11, 2016
A computer is an investment and needs to be taken care of to help ensure that it will have a long lasting lifespan. In order to help your computer last as long as possible and not fail due to inadequate care, be sure to keep the following tips in mind.
- Smoke Elsewhere. The chemicals from smoke will settle inside the computer and can cause it to fail much sooner than it typically would. Think of smoking around the computer just as you would when it comes to ingesting smoke into your lungs. It is a danger and precautions need to be taken.
- Turning It Off. Many people believe that every time they have to leave the room or walk away from the computer that it needs to be turned off. A computer is not a light bulb and quite frankly, shutting it down once per day or even every other day will be sufficient to install necessary updates to prolong life. Shutting it down too often will cause it to heat and cool too frequently and can actually cause it to begin a slow death.
- Surging Ahead. Never plug a computer into a wall socket without using a surge protector. Many problems with computers can be directly traced to having electricity surge through an outlet without protection. A surge protector can help with this, especially if you have a power outing in the middle of the night and are not able to perform a safe shutdown when it occurs.
- Drink Away. Or rather, keep the drinks as well as the food away from the computer at all times. Many a computer has been fried by having a glass of water or other type of beverage spill from a cup. Even if it does not immediately ruin the system, water and electronics are never a good combination and the liquid will, over time, corrode and damage everything inside that it comes into contact with. Food crumbs will do the same thing and can cause irreparable damage.
- Security. Whether you own a desktop, laptop, tablet or another device, be sure to have security software installed and do not use it without good malware or spyware protection. A virus or malware and spyware can essentially eat through every file on a computer and cause damage that cannot be repaired. If you want the computer to really last, keeping your antivirus software and other security software up to date is going to be a requirement.
You also need to have the computer checked regularly by a computer pro to make sure that everything is up to cate and running smoothly. When it is time to have your personal or business computer checked, be sure to contact Santa Cruz Computer Repair for the best services in the Santa Cruz area.